Dr Samuel Ekpo - Written Evidence (LBC0044)
I will start by pointing out the situation now from a psychological point of view; then I will make reference to scriptural texts to better understand what we can do in response to the pandemic. In the words of Daniel Carlstorm”...in the new normal, we need an incarnational approach to connect with our communities.”
• The situation now calls for a sense of readiness to go home – our heavenly home. 2 Cor 5:10; John 14:3; Luke 10:20
• Human’s standard and capacities has limitations in education, health, economy, and in the political sectors.
• This is also a call for global fellowship, Isaiah 2:2-4( heavenly fellowship by joining the 24 elders to worship). The 24 elders are representatives of the redeemed/restored human race.
• These 24 elders are described as human, male elders. There is need for true leadership.
The Psychological impact of the times now
A focus on the current state of the young people under corona.
• The corona crisis sets new standards for people. Young people are: - Hit extra hard
- Used to having people around them, but now they are keeping social distancing.
- Lacks the ability to self entertain themselves.
- Can not find meaningful replacement for daily activities.
- This results in : boredom, lack of purpose, higher stress than other age groups, they try to find meaning, there is relational difficulties.
Using scriptural references as a way to suggest believers response:
What do we need to do? ( now and in the future)
• Put on The Whole armour of God – Eph 6: 10-17
• Exercise the joy of the Lord; it is your strength. Joy is a choice – 1 John 1:1-4, Neh 8:10.
• Delight in him – 1 John 1:3-7, Deut 9: 5-7.
• Receive His Word -1 John 2: 2-5 – receive it and walk circumspectly, receive it and walk strategically.
• Speak about Him- 1 John 2:21-24
• Long to be like Him – 1 John 3:1-3
• Be willing to be corrected – 1 John 3:18-23
• Desire to please Him – 1 John 5:3-5
• Trust Him – 1 John 5:11-13
• Understand that God’s sovereign plan for the world can’t be hindered by any power whether it is physical or spiritual – John 16:33.
16 July 2020