Elizabeth Legge – Written evidence (INQ0075)
1. How complete is the scientific understanding of the biological processes of ageing and their epidemiologies (including the relative roles of genetics, epigenetics, lifestyle, environment, etc.)?
As a non scientist I am unable to comment other than as a highly active professional non retired person of 71.
There is great opportunity to improve quality of life and reduce state costs by addressing Life Style, Environment, Isolation, and on science basis Epigenetics.
Consider what is happening in Neuroscience and Spirituality to encompass ALL faiths on an as well as basis not an instead of basis. Practical applications in small groups linked to university studies would I believe be of great interest to a wide part of the ageing population.
2. How firm is the scientific basis for public health advice about healthy lifestyles as a way to increase health span, including physical health and mental health?
I would question how requirement for solely scientific basis for public health advice may inhibit exploring many alternatives for healthy living - refer for example to British Holistic Medical Association and or End of Life Doula UK for a fresh new approach. Further alternative practices (regulated0 to be considered.
a. What are the practical impediments for this advice being acted on?
This question begs the assumption that all processes must be science evidenced, so how to trial low cost other initiatives such as well being activities which avoid isolation for elderly, for coaching in how to motivate those isolated, particular attention to many isolated elderly males in our society - how to re create new “families” given so many live fair away and or have no family locally
b. Are there examples of good practice in the UK/devolved nations, or elsewhere?
Yes look to how the eastern practices are popping up, and there are some 80,000 practitioners of different types of well being practices of low cost such as tai chi, qi chong, reiki, and a wealth of coaching and personal development opportunities (to enhance potential meaning we believe you are good to start with - rather than therapy rather inferring something needs to be fixed - yes important for severe cases of isolation and or mental health issues but we are too quick to say it needs to be fixed, rather than saying - Hey yes I get it, it is tough alone, now you are great and how can we enhance your life… what would you like more of, less of and what do you need to do to get that…. many do respond and it lends itself to group FUN work, lets get the fun back ..
3. Which developments in biomedical science are anticipated in the coming years, in time to contribute to the Government’s aim of five more years of healthy and independent life by 2035?
Research areas may include:
4. How complete is the understanding of behavioural determinants and social determinants of health in old age, and of demographic differences? RUN PILOT PROGRAMMES AND WORK WITH SPECIFIC CHARITY GROUPS/PATIENT GROUPS - MAKE IT FUN!
5. What technologies will be needed to facilitate treatments for ageing and ageing- related diseases, and what is their current state of readiness?
6. What technologies will be needed to help people to live independently for longer, with better health and wellbeing? What is the current state of readiness of these technologies, and what should be done to help older people to engage with them?
WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE CENTRED APPROACHES - WE ARE SINKING IN TECHNOLOGY ISOLATION SO NEED TO HARNESS TECHNOLOGY TO PHYSICAL CONTACT AS WELL TO OVERCOME ISOLATION
7. How can technology be used to improve mental health and reduce loneliness for older people?
PHYSICAL AND TECHNOLOLGY CONTACT BOTH ESSENTIAL. BEWARE WE BECOME HOOKED TO COMPUTERSA JUST LIKE TEENAGERS. NOT GOOD FOR ANY OF US.
8. What are the barriers to the development and implementation of these various technologies (considered in questions 5-7)?
WHO SAYS THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY… PEOPLE CONTACT FIRST SUPPORTED BY TECHNOLOGY
a. What is needed to help overcome these barriers?
SET UP LOCAL PILOT GROUPS WITH LOCAL LEADERS TRAINED TO COACH UP TO SELF RESILIENCE AND GIVE OLDER PEOPLE A REAL ROLE IN SOCIETY AS GROUP LEADERS. THEY WILL INSPIRE OTHERS AND HARNESS INTO YOUNGER GENERATIONS LOCALLY.
b. To what extent do socio-economic factors affect access to, and acceptance of, scientific advice and use of technology by older people and those who care for them?
YES MAY AFFECT ACCESS BUT WHY IS THIS SURVEY ALL ABOUT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. YOU NEED TO LOOK AT BUILDING COMMUNITY CAPACITY AND INVOLVING ALL GENERATIONS IN THE AGE PROGRAMME - THERE IS A WEALTH OF LOW COST JOY AND BENEFIT TO INCLUDE YOUND AND OLD TOGETHER IN A PROGRAMME. THIS SURVEY IS A LITTLE DEPRESSING BASED ON SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY AS THOUGH WE OLDER PEOPLE ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE WHO HAVE A LOT TO CONTIRBUTUE AND ARE LOVING PEOPLE. WHERE IS THE LOVE IN THIS SURVEY?
13. What would be the implications of a paradigm shift to people leading healthier lives for longer, and spending less time suffering ill health?
19 September 2019