Committee examines National security machinery
21 April 2021
The Joint Committee on the National Security Strategy examines the structure and operation of the National Security Council, its role in considering and monitoring security matters, and the information that feeds into the system.
- Watch Parliament TV: National security machinery
- Inquiry: National security machinery
- Joint Committee on the National Security Strategy
Monday 26 April 2021, virtual meeting
- Lord McDonald of Salford, former Permanent Under Secretary at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Bronwen Maddox, Director, Institute for Government
The Committee also examines aspects of the national security machinery that were covered in the Government’s recently published ‘Integrated Review’.
Lord McDonald was FCO permanent secretary 2010-15, and before 2010 was foreign policy adviser to the then prime minister. The Institute for Government, headed by Bronwen Maddox, has produced reports on the National Security Council and other aspects of central government’s policy oversight.