Nexperia boss to be quizzed by Business Committee on Newport Wafer Fab takeover
1 July 2022
Leaders of the biggest companies in the UK semiconductor industry will give evidence to the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Committee for its inquiry into the sector.
- Watch Parliament TV: The Semiconductor Industry in the UK
- Inquiry: The Semiconductor Industry in the UK
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee
Toni Versluijs, General Manager of Nexperia UK, will answer MPs’ questions following its takeover of Newport Wafer Fab – the UK’s largest microchip factory. The buyout is currently being examined by the Government due to security concerns over the company’s China links.
Semiconductors are an essential component of computer chips, and a global shortage of them has impacted production and trade of a range of goods around the world such as the Mini and the PlayStation 5. There are also concerns that shortages contribute to price inflation.
Also appearing is Paul Williamson, senior vice president and general manager of multinational chip designer Arm.
The Committee will question company leaders on how they have been affected by supply shortages and about weaknesses in the supply chains they rely on.
There may also be questions about how the UK Government could help the country’s industry by investing in it, and what could be done to improve the skills base in the UK’s labour market.
Geopolitics is an important theme in the story of the semiconductor industry. Simon Beresford-Wylie, CEO of Imagination Technologies, appearing alongside Mr Williamson, will be asked about concerns of intellectual property being leaked to hostile states.
Tuesday 5 July
- Toni Versluijs, General Manager BG MOS Discretes, Nexperia
- Americo Lemos, CEO, IQE
- Dr Simon Thomas, CEO, Paragraf
- Professor Ken Young, Technology Director, Manufacturing Technology Centre
At 11.05am approx.
- Simon Beresford-Wylie, CEO, Imagination Technologies
- Paul Williamson, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Client Line of Business, Arm
- Dr Andrew Rickman, CEO, Rockley Photonics
At 11.45am approx.
- Rina Pal-Goetzen, Director of Global Policy, Semiconductor Industry Association
- Trish Blomfield, UK Country Manager, Intel