Impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus): Digital inclusion examined
11 May 2020
The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee hears evidence about the scale of digital exclusion at a time of a rapid shift online to access support during the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Watch Parliament TV: Impact of Covid-19 on DCMS sectors
- Inquiry: Impact of Covid-19 on DCMS sectors
- Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Friday 15 May 2020, this session will have remote participation by witnesses and Committee members
- Nicola Wallace Dean, Community Organiser, Starting Point
- Helen Milner OBE, Chief Executive, Good Things Foundation
- Liz Williams MBE, Chief Executive, FutureDotNow
Purpose of the session
The Committee examines the challenges facing individuals and communities without access to online technology.
The session will focus on the needs of vulnerable people such as those advised to shield, the government's role in promoting digital inclusion and what impact digital exclusion could have in the longer term.
The Committee will hear from Good Things Foundation, a charity that promotes access to digital skills and connectivity; Starting Point Community Learning Partnership, which helps people in and around Stockport, Greater Manchester to develop digital skills; and FutureDotNow which is working in collaboration with the Government on the DevicesDotNow initiative to distribute digital devices across the UK.