Cricket, football and rugby chiefs assess impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus)
1 May 2020
Sport is the focus of the first hearing in the new Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee inquiry into the impact of Covid-19 on sectors within the remit of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
- Watch Parliament TV: Impact of Covid-19 on DCMS sectors
- Inquiry: Impact of Covid-19 on DCMS sectors
- Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Tuesday 5 May, this session will be held online
- Tom Harrison, Chief Executive, England and Wales Cricket Board
- Rick Parry, Chairman, English Football League
- Bill Sweeney, Chief Executive Officer, Rugby Football Union
- Dame Katherine Grainger, Chair, UK Sport
- Tim Hollingsworth OBE, Chief Executive, Sport England
Senior executives representing cricket, football and rugby will assess how their respective sports have been hit by the lockdown imposed in March and discuss strategies for the future. The impact of on grassroot sports and participation will also be considered.
The inquiry launched in April will examine the effect of social and financial measures both in the immediate and long-term on a range of areas including within the DCMS sector.
As well as the current impact, the inquiry will consider the effectiveness of what is being done in the longer-term by the Government and what further support might be needed.