Body image: Committee to hear evidence from Caroline Dinenage and Nadine Dorries
26 January 2021
In this final session, the Committee aims to understand the Government’s views around how negative body image impacts groups with protected characteristics, and discuss prevalence of weight and appearance based discrimination throughout society.
The Committee will also be questioning the Government on the potential impacts of the obesity strategy and online harms legislation on body image across the UK.
- Does the Government accept that widespread negative body image is an equalities issue?
- What plans does it have to act on the GEO’s recently released research?
- What Government policies have had a positive impact?
- Would the Government consider new laws to further protect people at risk of appearance based discrimination?
Wednesday 27 January
- Caroline Dinenage, Minister for Digital and Culture, DCMS
- Nadine Dorries, Minister for Patient Safety, Suicide Prevention and Mental Health, Dept of Health and Social Care
- Mark Griffin, Deputy Director, Creative Economy, DCMS
- Zoe Seager, Deputy Director for Mental Health Policy and Delivery, Dept of Health and Social Care
Areas to be covered in this session include: body image and equality; image editing; healthcare; obesity strategy; young people; advertising; body image online.
Image: Sarah Allam