Retail, leisure and hospitality sectors give evidence to BEIS Committee
13 November 2020
On Tuesday 17 November, the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Committee will be looking at the impact of coronavirus and the support measures available to businesses and workers and hearing from businesses, unions and representative business groups from sectors including retail, leisure and hospitality [full witness details below].
Purpose of the session
For this session, the BEIS Committee will question – see full witness list below - representatives from Marston's PLC, PureGym, ExcludedUK, UKHospitality, Equity, British Retail Consortium, Federation of Small Businesses, and Usdaw.
Darren Jones, Chair of the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Committee said:
“Businesses across the country are facing a series of challenges following the imposition of a second national lockdown in England and Covid-measures in place across Britain. On Tuesday, we will be keen to hear from businesses and workers, in sectors including retail, leisure and hospitality, about their views on the Chancellor’s latest support package, what they need to survive over the coming months, and what can help them thrive in the future. We will also want to look at the adequacy of support measures for workers and the extent to which different groups, including the self-employed, may have been excluded from Government schemes.
“We will want to hear the views of our witnesses on the impact of the pandemic on the labour market and how it is affecting different groups, sectors and regions of the UK. On Tuesday, we will also want to examine the case for more tailored, sector specific support and what additional policies and measures will be necessary to help protect jobs, boost skills and training, and enable firms to create new jobs in the future.”
Tuesday 17 November
- Helen Dickinson OBE, Chief Executive, The British Retail Consortium;
- Mike Cherry OBE, National Chair, Federation of Small Businesses;
- Kate Nicholls, Chief Executive, UKHospitality;
- Ralph Findlay, Chief Executive, Marston's PLC;
- Humphrey Cobbold, Chief Executive, PureGym
- Dr Sonali Joshi, Founder and Director of Policy and Communications, ExcludedUK;
- Paul Fleming, General Secretary, Equity;
- Tony Dale, Head of Research, Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers
- Henry Chango Lopez, General Secretary, Independent Workers’ Union of Great Britain (IWGB)
Image: Parliamentary copyright