Environment Secretary on the record: EU access to UK waters
26 February 2020
The EU Energy and Environment Sub-Committee hears from the Environment Secretary on the forthcoming fisheries negotiations with the EU.
At 10.00am Wednesday 4th March 2020, Committee Room 3, Palace of Westminster.
- The Rt Hon George Eustice MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Areas of Discussion
The EU and UK are aiming to negotiate what access EU fleets will have to UK fishing waters by 1 July this year. The negotiations are a key part of the wider Brexit Deal, as the EU may want a trade deal subject to keeping fishing access the same as it is now. The Secretary of State, who has previously given evidence to the Committee for its Brexit: Fisheries report, will represent the Government as the Committee explores important negotiating factors including:
- What outcome the Government wants from the negotiations
- Whether access to UK waters be reduced or altered for EU fleets
- Whether the UK will apply new working conditions, such as remote electronic monitoring, to EU fleets
- How fishing quotas will be negotiated
- How the interests of the devolved nations will be met