How do LGBT+ people experience the UK asylum system? MPs to hear evidence
17 February 2022
The Women and Equalities Committee is to hold the first evidence session of its inquiry into Equality and the UK asylum process. In this session, the Committee will focus on those making asylum claims based on sexual orientation and gender identity and expression. MPs will examine some of the key issues faced by LGBT+ people in the asylum process, and scrutinise some of the solutions proposed.
- Watch Parliament TV: Equality and the UK asylum process
- Inquiry: Equality and the UK asylum process
- Women and Equalities Committee
The session will also question how the Nationality and Borders Bill will impact on this specific group of claimants, and how negative consequences can be mitigated.
Wednesday 23 February
- Dr S Chelvan, Barrister and Head of Immigration and Public Law, 33 Bedford Row
- Leila Zadeh, Executive Director, Rainbow Migration
- Professor Nuno Ferreira, Professor in Law and leader of the SOGICA project, University of Sussex
Image: Parliamentary copyright