Skip to main content

Health assessments for benefits


The Committee is investigating the assessment processes for health-related benefits. These include Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Attendance Allowance and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. The Committee is focusing on how the Department for Work and Pensions can improve the application and assessment processes for these benefits.

We’re focusing on:

  • How DWP could improve the quality of its assessments;
  • Lessons from the pandemic, including whether changes DWP made to the assessment processes then should continue;
  • How DWP could make applying for benefits more straightforward for claimants

If you have had an assessment to claim PIP, and/or a Work Capability Assessment to claim ESA or as part of a Universal Credit claim, you can tell us your experiences through our survey. An Easy Read version of the survey is available.

Read the call for evidence to find out more about the inquiry. The call for evidence is available in multiple formats.

The deadline to provide written evidence to fill in our survey is 11.59pm on Thursday 19 May 2022.

We can’t help you with individual problems that you’re having with your benefits. The following organisations may be able to give you support or advice:

Citizens Advice - For independent, free advice provided by a network of charities online, over the phone and in person on a wide variety of issues including benefits, work, debt, housing, family and immigration.

You can contact an adviser through Citizens Advice’s national phone service:

Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848Advicelink (Wales): 0800 702 2020 

Adviceline is available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

StepChange – For independent, free debt advice.

Call 0800 138 1111, Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 4pm.

We know that our inquiry raises issues that might be difficult or upsetting for you. You can contact the 24-hour Samaritans helpline on 116 123 if you feel low or anxious and need someone to talk to, or email them on

This inquiry is currently accepting evidence

The committee wants to hear your views. We welcome submissions from anyone with answers to the questions in the call for evidence. You can submit evidence until Wednesday 1 June 2022.

Read the call for evidence before submitting

Work news

Total results 7 (page 1 of 1)

Contact us

We can’t usually help you with an individual problem or a specific complaint.

  • Email:
  • Phone: 020 7219 8976 | Media enquiries to Oliver Florence on 020 7219 1679/
  • Address: Work and Pensions Committee | House of Commons | London | SW1A 0AA