Experts to appear before MPs examining impact on popular culture
9 July 2021
The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee holds the first session in an inquiry to examine the growth of influencer culture.
- Watch Parliament TV: Influencer culture
- Inquiry: Influencer culture
- Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Purpose of the session
The Committee will question two influencers on how they define the term and what power comes with the role. How influencers benefit the advertising industry will be discussed with the President of the Advertising Association, representing brands and agencies. MPs will also question academics about the relevance and definition of the term ‘influencer’ and the contexts in which they work.
The inquiry will consider whether there is a need for further regulation on the advertising of products or services beyond the policies of individual platforms.
Tuesday 13 July
- Em Sheldon, Content creator and influencer
- Dr Crystal Abidin, Associate Professor and Principal Research Fellow, Curtin University
- Dr Francesca Sobande, Lecturer, School of Journalism, Media and Culture, Cardiff University
At 11.00am approx.
- Sarah Brin, Senior Outreach Producer, Media Molecule
- Keith Weed, President, Advertising Association