Committee discusses Channel 4’s future with Claire Enders and its current and former Chairs and CEOs
The Communications and Digital Committee continues its inquiry into the future of Channel 4, with evidence from Enders Analysis as well as current and former Channel 4 Chairs and CEOs.
Ministers are consulting on the possible privatisation of Channel 4 – the government’s preferred option - and now peers are investigating its remit and ownership.
Possible questions and areas for discussion with witnesses include:
- How sustainable is Channel 4?
- What are the benefits and risks of privatising Channel 4?
- What effect would potential buyers of Channel 4 have on the wider ecology of UK public service broadcasting?
- To what extent would privatisation ensure Channel 4’s sustainability, and enable it to compete with subscription video on demand services (SVODs)?
- To what extent would privatisation reduce investment into small independent production companies?
- Would Channel 4’s delivery of public service content be threatened by a move to private ownership?
- If Channel 4 remained in public ownership, are there legislative or regulatory changes the channel would like the Government to enact to help ensure its sustainability?