Housing experts give evidence to Committee
On Tuesday 6 July at 9.30am, the Built Environment Committee holds its first evidence session on the inquiry into meeting the housing demand in the UK.
- What is the current composition of the UK’s housing sector? How is the sector structured in terms of private ownership, privately rented accommodation and social housing?
- What social and demographic factors shape housing demand in the UK? How might an ageing population and trends in household formation and immigration affect housing demand?
- What are the expected future trends in housing demand?
- Does the Government’s target of 300,000 new homes per year accurately reflect housing demand?
- What is the balance of demand for new housing between homes for private ownership, privately rented homes, and social housing? How does this affect the type and tenure required of new homes?
- In your view, what are the main barriers to meeting housing demand in the UK? Can you identify any best practice examples, in the UK or overseas, where demand is being met successfully?