Committee hears from the Lord Chief Justice in annual evidence session
The Constitution Committee holds its annual evidence session with the Rt Hon Lord Burnett of Maldon, the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales. The session will explore several topics including the impact of COVID-19 on the justice system, the modernisation of the courts service, legal aid funding, and judicial recruitment.
Possible questions include:
- What major challenges will the courts of England and Wales face over the coming year?
- To what extent are Nightingale Courts having an impact on the backlog of cases? Is sufficient information available to determine their efficacy?
- What steps are being taking to ensure that adequate training and guidance on remote hearings is available to all members of the judiciary?
- Is adequate funding being made available for the HMCTS modernisation programme?
- What can be done to improve judicial diversity?
- Is there anything that can usefully be done to strengthen the relationship between the judiciary, parliament and the executive?