NI Business representatives give evidence on the Protocol
As part of its ongoing inquiry, the House of Lords Sub-Committee on the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland questions representatives from the business community in Northern Ireland in its second evidence session. The session will explore the impact of the Protocol on different business sectors since it came into force on 1 January, how NI businesses are adapting to the challenges and any potential solutions to the issues.
Possible questions include:
- What is your overall assessment of the experience of businesses based both in Northern Ireland and Great Britain since the Protocol came into force on 1 January 2021?
- What aspects of the operation of the Protocol are proving most challenging?
- Which aspects of the Protocol’s operation are going most smoothly, or have improved since January?
- How prepared have businesses based in Great Britain been for the requirements for trading with Northern Ireland under the Protocol? What practical impact has the Protocol had on the ability of British businesses to operate in Northern Ireland?
- How would you characterise your engagement since January with the UK Government and the Northern Ireland Executive as regards the operation of the Protocol?
- How would you characterise your engagement since January with the EU as regards the operation of the Protocol?
- Are the problems that have been encountered capable of resolution within the terms of the Protocol