New Lords Committee launches inquiry into the operation of the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland
The House of Lords Sub-Committee on the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland launches an introductory inquiry into the operation of the Protocol, with an evidence session with two key experts on Wednesday 28 April. The focus of the session is to gain an overview of the current situation in Northern Ireland as it relates to the Protocol and its operation, especially in light of recent developments.
Possible questions include:
- What is your assessment of the overall socio-economic and political impact upon Northern Ireland of the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland since it came into force on 1 January?
- How significant, compared to other issues and concerns, has the Protocol been as a contributory factor to the recent community disturbances in Northern Ireland?
- What is your assessment of the UK Government’s approach to the Protocol, and its engagement with Northern Ireland stakeholders, since it came into force?
- What is your assessment of the EU’s approach to the Protocol, and its engagement with Northern Ireland stakeholders?
- What practical steps can the UK and EU take through the Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee and Ireland/Northern Ireland Specialised Committee to mitigate the Protocol’s negative impact on the people and businesses of Northern Ireland?
- Is there a viable alternative to the Protocol?