Lords Public Services Committee to quiz government ministers on ‘levelling up’
How fair are criticisms that the Government has shown insufficient transparency in making ‘levelling up’ funding decisions, resulting in accusations of political bias?
This is one of the likely questions the Committee will be putting to ministers this week.
- What are the aims of the government’s ‘levelling up’ strategy and how will it measure its progress?
- Who in Government will ensure that departments achieve their ‘levelling up’ targets?
- What steps will the Government take to assess the effectiveness of ‘levelling up’ investment in increasing healthy life expectancy and school readiness?
- Why has the government excluded measures to improve health, early years programmes and ‘social infrastructure’ such as community centres from the remit of the Levelling Up, Towns and Community Renewal funds?
- How did the Government involve local people in the areas receiving ‘levelling up’ investment in deciding how that money was spent?
You can follow the committee and progress of the inquiry on Twitter: @LordsPublicSCom.