Lords take evidence on Facebook's Oversight Board and on competition between platforms
The Communications and Digital Committee hears evidence on Facebook’s independent Oversight Board, which decides what the digital platform takes down and leaves up, and academics on competition between platforms, as part of its inquiry into freedom of expression online.
Likely questions and topics of discussion with Alan Rusbridger and Dr Kate Klonick include:
- Does the Oversight Board have sufficient power and independence to succeed?
- Is large-scale automated content moderation compatible with freedom of expression?
- How do platforms’ business models shape their approach to freedom of expression?
- Is there sufficient oversight of the algorithms platforms use to curate content?
Likely questions and topics of discussion with Professor Damien Geradin and Dr Liza Lovdahl Gormsen include:
- Would increasing competition in the social media and search engine markets enhance users’ freedom of expression and other human rights?
- How well has the Competition and Markets Authority addressed digital competition issues?
- How well do the social media and search engine markets function?
- How should the Digital Markets Unit increase competition in the social media market?