Nuclear, oil and gas sector experts give evidence on UK risk assessment
On 10 March, the Select Committee on Risk Assessment and Risk Planning will take evidence from experts from the nuclear, oil and gas sectors on the sectors’ resilience to risk, as well as the challenges involved in developing and implementing risk assessment processes.
Possible questions include:
- Do we have an undue focus in our conversation around risk on high-profile disasters over day-to-day risks such as waste storage, decommissioning, minor leaks, transportation etc.?
- What were the key lessons learnt from disasters such as Piper Alpha and Fukushima, and have these lessons been acted upon?
- What is ‘systems thinking’, and how useful is it in both assessing risk and building resilience?
- How effective are the nuclear, oil and gas sectors in embedding safety processes?
- How are the sectors managing the risk posed by cyber-threats?
- Looking to the current situation in Texas, what are the nuclear, oil and gas sectors doing to ensure the resilience of the UK’s energy supply?