On 13 January, the Select Committee on Risk Assessment and Risk Planning will hear from a panel of expert witnesses on the risks associated with emerging technologies, the potential consequences of society’s growing dependency on technology, the ethical challenges related to technological advancement, and whether the UK is managing technological advances and their associated risks effectively.
Possible questions include:
- How can the risk assessment process be used to inform the governance of technological innovation?
- Is failure to act ethnically in the adoption of new technology, Artificial Intelligence (AI) in particular, a risk?
- What needs to be done to better educate society about the risks (and benefits) of AI?
- Is the UK government adequately prepared to deal with the risk of cyber-attacks?
- How far can risks from emerging technologies be mitigated by UK action alone or is international cooperation required?