Committee to hear perspectives of current and former leaders of regulators
The Industry and Regulators Committee will continue its inquiry into the work of the UK’s regulators by hearing from current and former leaders of regulators. The Committee will discuss whether the UK’s regulators are given a clear job to do, how independent they are from the Government, and how regulators co-operate with each other on matters of mutual interest. The Committee will also discuss how transparent regulators are about their performance, the extent to which performance can be measured through metrics, and the effects Parliament can have on regulators through scrutiny.
Possible questions include:
- How independent of the Government are the UK’s major regulators? To what extent is a regulator’s independence affected by whether it depends on the Government for its resources?
- To what extent are regulators being expected to address political or distributional decisions?
- How transparent are UK regulators about their own performance?
- Do regulators have the necessary skills and resources to carry out their functions?
- How do regulators engage with businesses, consumers and workers?