Mayor of Greater Manchester gives evidence to public transport inquiry
At 9am on Monday 6 June 2022, the Built Environment Committee hears evidence from Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, as part of its inquiry into public transport in towns and cities.
Questions likely to be asked include:
- Why has Manchester decided to bring bus services under a franchise scheme? What challenges will franchising help overcome?
- What is your view of the Government’s reforms under the National Bus Strategy? Why did you choose franchising instead of Enhanced Partnerships?
- How will you implement bus franchising? What will be the overall cost of this programme in the short, medium and long term?
- Could central government funding for public transport programmes be allocated more fairly and/or efficiently? Is the process of ‘bidding’ for funding effective?
- Are local authorities well equipped with appropriate funding and powers to deliver high-quality public transport services? Would further devolution of transport policy contribute to better outcomes?