MPs quiz Foreign Secretary on Ukraine and foreign aid
12 May 2022
The House of Commons International Development Committee is holding its first public evidence session with the Foreign Secretary, Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP, since she was appointed to the role in September 2021, on Wednesday May 18, 2022 at 2.30pm in The Grimond Room, Portcullis House.
Purpose of the Session
The scope of the session is expected to be wide-ranging and could include questions on:
- UK aid for Ukraine and how this may affect other aid programmes run by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO);
- wider questions on the UK aid programme, which was reduced in 2021 from 0.7% to 0.5% of gross national income;
- specific aid priorities, such as programmes to benefit women and girls – and the FCDO’s plans to restore funding to those programmes after the cuts; and
- the Foreign Secretary’s priorities and long-term plans for UK aid, which will be set out shortly in the government’s upcoming ‘International Development Strategy’ (and when that strategy will be published).
- Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MP, Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs
- Sir Philip Barton KCMG OBE, Permanent Under-Secretary, FCDO
- Nick Dyer, Director General – Humanitarian and Development, FCDO
Image: Parliamentary Copyright