Looking ahead to the Development Strategy – statement from Sarah Champion MP
21 March 2022
International Development Committee Chair, Sarah Champion MP, said:
“My Committee is looking forward to the release of the Government’s Development Strategy, which the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office have told us will be launched in Spring 2022.
“This is a critical time for the world, as we deal with conflict, emerging from a pandemic and tackling the impacts of climate change. A robust approach to the UK’s development policy is needed more than ever so we can meet the demands of these challenges and continue our role as world leaders on eliminating poverty. A strong approach to development means a safer, fairer world for all.
“I encourage the Government to look at the Committee’s reports as our evidence-based work shows where UK aid can have real impact. For example:
- UK Climate Action and international development – which discusses the critical importance of climate-focused aid spending in helping lower income countries tackle climate change;
- Secondary impacts of Covid-19 in development countries – which includes a focus on global health (covering routine vaccinations, access to sexual and reproductive health services);
- Philosophy and Culture of aid – which shows the merits of a local-based approach to development that listens to the needs of communities;
- Effectiveness of UK aid - which notes the importance of putting poverty reduction front and centre of UK aid policy.”
- International Development Committee
- Inquiry: Future of UK aid
- About Parliament: Select committees
- Visiting Parliament: Watch committees
Image: Crown Copyright