legal practitioners and advocates for change on sexual exploitation examined
1 October 2020
The International Development Committee continues the inquiry into Sexual exploitation and abuse in the aid sector: next steps.
- Watch Parliament TV: Sexual exploitation and abuse in the aid sector: next steps
- Inquiry: Sexual exploitation and abuse in the aid sector: next steps
- International Development Committee
Tuesday 6 October 2020 (Virtual)
- Please note there is no physical access to Parliament
- Session will be conducted with remote participation by witnesses and Committee members
- Edward Flaherty, Attorney, Schwab, Flaherty & Associés
- Andrew MacLeod, Visiting Professor, Kings College London and Co-founder, Hear Their Cries
- Sienna Merope-Synge, Human Rights Lawyer
- Shaista Aziz, Journalist, Specialist on Violence Against Women and Girls and Co-Founder, NGO Safe Space
- Alexia Pepper de Caires, Activist, Writer and Co-Founder, NGO Safe Space
- Lesley Agams, Writer, Lawyer and Social Entrepreneur
- Paula Donovan, Co-Director, AIDS-Free World’s Code Blue Campaign
Purpose of the Session
The first panel features legal practitioners with experience of fighting for justice for victims and survivors of sexual exploitation abuse and harassment. These witnesses will be able to share their ideas on how justice can be achieved.
The second panel features active campaigners and advocates for change, to discuss their ongoing concerns about the sector and its culture. This panel may also explore how intersecting issues such as racism and sexism feed into the problem sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment in the aid sector.