World Humanitarian Summit priorities examined with Minister
3 March 2016
The International Development Committee hears from experts on the global humanitarian system.
- Watch Parliament TV: The global humanitarian system
- Inquiry: The global humanitarian system
- International Development Committee
Tuesday 8 March, Committee Room 8, Palace of Westminster
- Bruno Lemarquis, Deputy Director, Crisis Response Unit, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Christina Bennett, Research Fellow, Humanitarian Policy Group, Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
- Markus Geisser, Senior Humanitarian Affairs and Policy Adviser, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Rt Hon Desmond Swayne MP, Minister of State for International Development
- Dylan Winder, Head, Humanitarian Policy and Partnerships, CHASE, Department for International Development
Purpose of the Session
This session will explore priorities for the World Humanitarian Summit later this year, covering issues such as: how the global approach can better ensure that humanitarian assistance evolves into longer-term development support when needed; reducing and preventing humanitarian need and maintaining the leave No One Behind agenda; how to ensure that international humanitarian law is updated; potential system reform, including of financing arrangements; and localisation of humanitarian assistance.
Video: Parliamentary copyright