UK aid spending for combating climate change examined
12 February 2019
The International Development Committee takes evidence from development stakeholders on UK aid for combating climate change.
- Watch Parliament TV: UK aid for combating climate change
- Inquiry: UK aid for combating climate change
- International Development Committee
Tuesday 12 February 2019, Committee Room 16, Palace of Westminster
- Colin Buckley, Chief Operating Officer, CDC
- Joelle Jenny, Director of the joint Funds Unit, National Security Secretariat
- Helena Wright, Senior Policy Adviser, E3G
- Neil Bird, Senior Research Fellow, ODI
- Dr Angela Falconer, Associate Director, Climate Policy Initiative
Purpose of the Session
In the fourth oral evidence session of the IDC's inquiry, the Committee will first explore how the CDC and the Prosperity Fund are spending UK aid to combat climate change, examining how CDC and Prosperity Fund take climate risks and benefits into account in funding decisions, with specific reference to projects that involve the consumption of fossil fuels. The Committee will then look at international climate finance, assessing the role of the multilateral development banks and the effectiveness of multilateral climate funds, asking what the UK can do to ensure these bodies are meeting the scale of the challenge.