Refugee Voices video launched ahead of Syrian refugee crisis session
28 October 2015
International Development Committee takes evidence on the Syrian Refugee Crisis and releases a short video—the first in the Refugee Voices series—to launch this stage of the inquiry and draw attention to this very important issue.
- Watch Parliament TV: Syrian Refugee Crisis
- Inquiry: Syrian Refugee Crisis
- International Development Committee
- Syrian Refugee Crisis: Refugee Voices Video
Thursday 29 October, Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Francois Reybet-Degat, Deputy-Director, Regional Bureau for the Middle East and North Africa, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Sanjayan Srikanthan, Director of Policy and Practice International Rescue Committee UK (IRC-UK)
- Zoe Smith, Head of Advocacy, Open Doors UK
- Haley Bobseine, Lebanon Researcher, Human Rights Watch
- Aleema Shivji, Director, Handicap International UK
- George Graham, Head of Conflict and Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy, Save the Children
The Chair of the International Development Committee, Stephen Twigg MP, commented:
"The purpose of this session is to hear from some key voices, both about the refugee crisis in general and specifically on how we reach the most vulnerable people. We want to focus on ensuring that the UK is supporting those who most need it, and we will be hearing from a number of organisations who have been working with refugees from some of the most marginalised groups.
We have also created a short video —the first in our Refugee Voices series—to launch this stage of our inquiry and draw attention to this very important issue. We hope that this will get people thinking, not just about how much support the UK should provide but also about to whom we should be providing that support. We are keen to hear from the wider public and I hope our video will promote debate and discussion."
Video: Parliamentary copyright