Dame Diana Johnson elected Chair of Home Affairs Committee
15 December 2021
The Speaker has announced that Dame Diana Johnson has been elected Chair of the Home Affairs Committee.
- See the full voting results sheet here
- Find out more about the Home Affairs Committee
- How Select Committeess elect their Chairs
- Read the candidate booklet
Three candidates were nominated for the role of Chair, triggering an election between:
· Dr Rupa Huq, Member of Parliament for Ealing Central and Acton
· Dame Diana Johnson, Member of Parliament for Kingston upon Hull North
· Yasmin Qureshi, Member of Parliament for Bolton South East
Dame Diana Johnson will take up her position with immediate effect and serve to the end of the current Parliament.
The new Chair was elected from the Labour Party, as agreed by the party leaders following the results of the last General Election.
The procedure for the election of chairs is set out in Standing Orders Nos 122B and 122C. MPs voted by ranking candidates in order of preference and votes were counted under the Alternative Vote System.
The election for the Chair of the Home Affairs Committee follows the resignation of Yvette Cooper after she was appointed as Shadow Home Secretary in November.