Operators of immigration detention centres questioned
20 March 2018
The Home Affairs Committee session follows on from evidence taken by the Committee last autumn on Brook House Immigration Removal Centre (IRC).
Tuesday 20 March in the Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Kris Harris, Policy & Research Worker, Medical Justice
- Gemma Lousley, Policy and Research Coordinator, Women for Refugee Women
- Tom Nunn, Legal Manager, Bail for Immigration Detainees (BID)
- Serco Group – Rupert Soames CEO, and Julia Rogers, MD Justice and Immigration
- Phil Wragg, HMPPS Prisons Group Director for Kent, Essex, IRCs and FNPs and Karen Head, Morton Hall Centre Manager
Purpose of the session
The session will focus on Yarl's Wood and Morton Hall IRCs and will cover issues such as the treatment of detainees, staffing, impact of casework delays, and the operation of the contractual arrangements with the operators of the Centres. It will also provide an opportunity to discuss wider policy issues around immigration detention.