MPs to question Sir Laurie Bristow, former Ambassador to Afghanistan
3 December 2021
On 7 December, at 3pm, the Foreign Affairs Committee will question Sir Laurie Bristow, former UK Ambassador to Afghanistan, as well as senior officials from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). The session is the fourth in the Committee’s inquiry into the
UK policy on Afghanistan.
- Watch Parliament TV: Government policy on Afghanistan
- Inquiry: Government policy on Afghanistan
- Foreign Affairs Committee
Purpose of the session
The session will focus on the FCDO’s conduct of the evacuation effort from Afghanistan and planning for the withdrawal of international forces.
Sir Laurie Bristow served as Ambassador to Afghanistan from June 2021, and ran an FCDO Transition Task Force on Afghanistan. Sir Laurie will appear alongside Sir Philip Barton, the Permanent Under-Secretary at the FCDO, and Nigel Casey, Director for Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran Directorate in the FCDO.
Tuesday 7 December
- Sir Philip Barton KCMG OBE, Permanent Under-Secretary, FCDO
- Sir Laurie Bristow KCMG, former UK Ambassador to Afghanistan
- Nigel CaseyMVO, Director for Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran Directorate, FCDO
Image: Crown copyright