Foreign Affairs Committee to hold evidence session on foreign asset stripping
4 September 2020
On Tuesday 8 September, at 14.30, the Foreign Affairs Committee will hold its second evidence session as part of its inquiry into foreign asset stripping. The session will build an understanding of the key foreign policy, security, legislative and business issues around foreign asset stripping. Witnesses will include Elisabeth Braw, Professor Jeffrey Henderson, John Fingleton and Chris Cummings.
- Watch Parliament TV: The FCO’s role in blocking foreign asset stripping in the UK
- Inquiry: The FCO’s role in blocking foreign asset stripping in the UK
- Foreign Affairs Committee
Elisabeth Braw is a prominent commentator on foreign asset stripping, having recently published a piece in Foreign Policy titled ‘Chinese Acquisitions of Western Firms Threaten National Security’. Jeffrey Henderson is Professor Emeritus in International Development at the University of Bristol, was previously Director of the University’s Centre for East Asian Studies, and is currently Vice-Chair of the China in Europe Research Network. John Fingleton is the Founder and Chief Executive of Fingleton, which provides strategic advice to business leaders on the economics of competition, regulation and government policy. Chris Cummings is the Chief Executive Officer of the Investment Association (IA), a position he has held since 2016.
Tuesday 8 September - virtual participation by witnesses and members of the Committee
- Elisabeth Braw, Senior Research Fellow, Modern Deterrence Programme, RUSI
- Professor Jeffrey Henderson, Professor Emeritus, University of Bristol
- John Fingleton, Founder and Chief Executive, Fingleton
- Chris Cummings, CEO, The Investment Association