House of Commons issues Reasoned Opinion on EU Drinking Water Directive
29 March 2018
On 28 March 2018, the House of Commons resolved that the European Commission’s recent proposal to amend the EU’s Drinking Water Directive does not comply with the principle of subsidiarity for the reasons set out by the European Scrutiny Committee.
- Read the report: Drinking Water Directive
- Read the report: Drinking Water Directive (PDF 170 KB)
- European Scrutiny Committee
In accordance with Article 6 of Protocol No. 2 annexed to the EU Treaties on the application of the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality, the House instructed the Clerk of the House to forward the reasoned opinion to the Presidents of the European Institutions.
An exchange of correspondence between the European Scrutiny Committee and the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Environment (Dr Thérèse Coffey) is set out below.
- Letter from Dr Thérèse Coffey dated 21 March 2018
- Letter from Kate Green MP dated 21 March 2018
- Letter from Dr Thérèse Coffey, dated 22 March 2018