EAC to hold final session examining local government’s abilities to meet net zero
19 October 2021
In its final session examining the National Audit Office’s report on Net Zero and Local Government in England, the Environmental Audit Committee will be quizzing ex-MP and former member of the EAC, Alan Simpson, and the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy.
- Watch the session on Parliament TV
- Inquiry: Mapping the path to net zero
- Environmental Audit Committee
The Committee has previously heard how local authorities need greater resources and better strategic direction to meet the overall challenge of net zero, and that many councils are failing to properly communicate what local people can be doing to improve the environment.
Issues likely to be discussed on Thursday include current obstacles to effective local authority delivery of net zero policies and outcomes; how local authorities can deliver net zero through planning, transport and energy systems; and how public sector financial reporting in local authorities in England can contribute to delivering sustainability and net zero goals.
Thursday 21 October 2021, 9.30am
- Alan Simpson, former MP (1992-2010), now an independent adviser on climate policy
- Karen Sanderson, Director, Public Financial Management at Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy