Packaging sector and experts questioned on the introduction of deposit return schemes
12 March 2021
The Environmental Audit Committee considers the introduction of deposit return schemes how the schemes could be rolled out.
- Watch Parliament TV: Next steps for deposit return schemes
- Inquiry: Next steps for deposit return schemes
- Environmental Audit Committee
17 March 2021, virtual meeting
- Rick Hindley, Executive Director, Aluminium Packaging Recycling Organisation (Alupro)
- Barry Turner, Director of Plastic and Flexible Packaging, British Plastics Federation
- Dr Nicholas Kirk, Technical Director, British Glass
- Samantha Harding, Executive Director, Reloop
- Lee Marshall, CEO, Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee (LARAC)
- Martin Curtois, External Affairs Director, Veolia
A deposit return scheme (DRS) places a small deposit on certain drinks containers which is refunded to the customer when the container is returned at a collection point.
The Government has announced that through the Environment Bill, currently making its way through Parliament, they would seek a general power to introduce DRS’. The EAC’s work on this issue comes ahead of a further Government consultation later in the Spring on DRS’.
In this session, members hears from witnesses across two panels.
The first of the two comprises representatives from packaging materials sectors, including aluminium, plastic and glass.
On the second, experts in the waste sector on the scheme’s practicalities.
Image: Bidgee/Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported