Many issues outstanding on Protocol implementation for Northern Ireland agrifood
17 September 2020
The EU Environment Sub-Committee writes again to Secretary of State George Eustice regarding implementation issues for Northern Ireland agrifood under the Protocol.
- Letter from the Chair of the EU Environment Sub-Committee to the Secreatary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, 16 September 2020
- Agrifood and the Northern Ireland Protocol
- EU Environment Sub-Committee
The Committee wrote to the Secretary of State in July setting out key findings from its inquiry on agrifood and the Northern Ireland Protocol.
The Secretary of State responded to the Committee in August, however many implementation issues are still outstanding.
Recent developments relating to the Government’s Internal Market Bill have also concerned the Committee.
The Committee has written to the Secretary of State to:
- Ask for updates on outstanding issues.
- Urge the Government to consider the likely impacts on Northern Ireland businesses and consumers if the UK-EU future relationship negotiations are not successful.
- Urge the Government to reconsider its internal market proposals and engage with the EU and devolved administrations constructively on related issues.
- Clarify the issue of third country listing for agrifood products in light of recent public statements.