DCMS Committee investigate VisitBritain’s performance and Government tourism funding
21 June 2022
MPs will examine the post-Covid and Brexit success of the tourism agency, responsible for marketing Britain worldwide, amidst reports that its funding has dropped by 35% since 2010, to far below comparable countries.
- Parliament TV: watch the session
- Inquiry: Promoting Britain abroad
- Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Purpose of the session
The Committee will hear from the organisation’s CEO, Patricia Yates, and Nick De Bois, whose independent Review, before he joined VisitEngland, argued that the Government is “sitting on its hands” with tourism management.
This fourth session of the inquiry into Promoting Britain abroad is also expected to explore reports that the Cabinet Office and No 10 have to approve marketing materials for the organisation and have previously changed marketing content. Whether new passport requirements for EU visitors are impacting tourism is also likely to be discussed.
- Patricia Yates, Chief Executive, VisitBritain and VisitEngland
- Nick de Bois, Lead reviewer of the de Bois Review: an independent review of Destination Management Organisations