MPs question Advertising Standards Authority on influencer regulation
21 January 2022
MPs examine how far the UK’s current systems are able to regulate the new era of influencer advertising. Speaking to senior figures from the Advertising Standards Authority and Competition and Markets Authority, the Committee will investigate current legislation and codes, as well as regulators’ ability to enforce them.
- Parliament TV: Watch the session live
- Inquiry: Influencer culture
- Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Purpose of the session
The inquiry into Influencer culture is also likely to consider who, out of regulators, brands, platforms, or influencers themselves, is responsible for ensuring that influencers comply with advertising rules. Representatives from Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok explained their advertising policies in the previous session of this inquiry.
- Guy Parker, Chief Executive, Advertising Standards Authority
- George Lusty, Senior Director for Consumer Protection, Competition and Markets Authority