MPs question Government’s preferred candidate for Charity Commission Chair
3 December 2021
Martin Thomas will appear before the DCMS Committee for pre-appointment scrutiny following the Government's announcement that he is the preferred candidate for the post of Charity Commission Chair.
- Parliament TV: Watch the session live
- Pre-appointment hearing for Chair of the Charity Commission
- Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Purpose of the session
MPs will consider the candidate's prior experience and priorities in the role, including his strategic vision for the regulator after its current strategy expires in 2023.
Questions could also focus on the Chair's political independence, following suggestions from the previous Secretary of State that the Commission should divert charities from "woke" agendas, as well as the Commission's record on complaints and wistleblowers. Although the appointments process was due to conclude in the summer, the Government extended it to late December.
Thursday 9 December 2021
- Martin Thomas, Government's preferred candidate for Charity Commission Chair
For this session, the Committee has invited William Wragg MP, Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee, to attend and ask questions under the joint working provisions that allow MPs on one committee to 'guest' at the hearings of another.
- About Parliament: Select committees
- Visiting Parliament: Watch committees