Committee considers issues including farming and natural capital
24 October 2017
The Chairman of the Natural Capital Committee, Professor Dieter Helm provides evidence to the Select Committee on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006. A second session sees representatives from the farming sector discuss the Act and current issues facing their industry.
- Parliament TV: Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006
- Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006
Tuesday 24 October, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Dieter Helm CBE, Professor of Economic Policy, University of Oxford and Chairman of the Natural Capital Committee
- George Dunn, Chief Executive, Tenant Farmers Association
- David Trigger MBE, Chairman, Small Farms Association
- What is natural capital and how do we measure natural capital? What does this method value well, and what less well?
- Is there enough understanding and capacity available within local
authorities and other relevant public bodies to allow them to implement natural capital accounting effectively at a local level?
- Do you think that Natural England's current balance of objectives and functions is appropriate?
- When has the rural-proofing of national policy worked best, and when has it not worked at all?