Correspondence on progress of negotiations and impact of coronavirus published
7 April 2020
The Committee on the Future Relationship with the European Union has published a letter from Michael Gove MP, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, in reply to Committee chair Hilary Benn MP.
The chair wrote to Mr Gove following his appearance before the Committee on Wednesday 11 March, seeking an update on the following points:
- Progress on the negotiations on the Future Relationship since his appearance, and his current assessment of the chances of agreement in all the areas that the UK wishes to have a relationship with the EU by the December deadline
- The implementation of the Withdrawal Agreement, in particular the timetable for establishing the Joint Committee, the associated specialised committees including that for the Ireland/Northern Ireland Protocol, and the UK’s policy for reporting on those discussions
- The arrangements the Government is planning to put in place to identify goods moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland that may be at risk of entering the EU
- Government and business preparedness to implement the Future Relationship, and the mechanisms that are in place to enable the public and private sector to consult and feedback as the negotiations progress
- A list of the EU agencies and programmes the UK currently participates in, and an indication of whether the Government is seeking to continue this participation after the transition period, and on what terms.
Image: Parliamentary copyright