Committee examines state of play ahead of ninth negotiating round
21 September 2020
The Committee on the Future Relationship with the European Union returns on Wednesday 23 September with a virtual evidence session, examining the issues facing the UK and EU negotiating teams ahead of another week of formal talks.
- Watch Parliament TV: Progress of the negotiations on the UK’s Future Relationship with the EU
- Inquiry: Progress of the negotiations on the UK’s Future Relationship with the EU
- Committee on the Future Relationship with the European Union
Beginning on 28 September, the ninth round is currently set to be the final week of formal talks ahead of the October 15-16 European Council. In this session, the Committee will examine the key negotiating areas, including fisheries and the level playing field, with Professor Catherine Barnard (University of Cambridge), Shanker Singham (Competere) and Georgina Wright (Institute for Government).
The Committee is also expected to question witnesses about the impact of the UK Government’s Internal Market Bill on the negotiations, and the preparations being undertaken for the end of the transition period.
Wednesday 23 September - remote participation by witnesses and Committee members
- Professor Catherine Barnard, Professor of European Union and Labour Law, University of Cambridge
- Shanker Singham, CEO, Competere
- Georgina Wright, Senior Researcher, Institute for Government