Committee question industry experts on gas storage
17 October 2018
The BEIS Committee examine issues around UK gas security and gas storage, the Government's approach to diversity of supply, and what action the Government is taking to ensure the supply system is robust and secure.
- Watch Parliament TV: Gas storage
- Inquiry: Gas storage
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee
Rachel Reeves MP, Chair of the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, said:
"As winter approaches, we want to examine what action the Government is taking to ensure we can have confidence in the security of our gas supplies. We will want to question industry experts and Government on the future role for gas storage following the closure of the Rough gas storage facility and in the light of weather events such as the ‘Beast from the East'. Given our increased reliance on gas imports, we will also be asking what Government is doing to guard against gas shortages and the potential knock-on effects of increased energy costs for businesses and domestic consumers".
The evidence session is likely to explore questions concerning the decision to close the Rough gas storage facility and how the supply and availability of the UK's gas supply is evaluated. The hearing is expected to examine issues around the potential for future provision of new gas storage facilities and whether the costs should be borne by the taxpayer or, ultimately, businesses and consumers.
Wednesday 31 October, venue TBC
- Roddy Monroe – Chair of Gas Storage Operators Group and former Head of Regulatory Affairs at Centrica Storage.
- Oliver Rix – Partner (Energy and Resources) at Baringa
- Duncan Burt – Director of Operations for National Grid System Operator
- Laura Cohen – Gas Security Group
- Dan Monzani, Director for Energy Security, Networks and Markets, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Dave Buttery, Deputy Director for Energy Security, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy