Committee examines current safety regulations for electrical goods in the UK
31 October 2017
The Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee explores the safety of electrical goods in the UK and considers the current state of the UK's product safety and recall systems.
- Watch Parliament TV: Safety of electrical goods in the UK
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee
Product safety and enforcement
This session follows a series of high profile fires started by electrical appliances, evidence suggesting a wider problem of electrical fires and safety concerns around specific products such as tumble dryers and plastic-backed fridges and freezers.
The hearing will explore issues around product safety enforcement, safety concerns regarding the UK's market in second-hand and online electrical goods, and the possible implications of Brexit for the UK's product safety and product recall regimes.
Tuesday 31 October 2017, Committee Room 6, Palace of Westminster.
- Charlie Pugsley, National Fire Chiefs Council
- Pete Moorey, Head of Campaigns, Which?
- Martyn Allen, Technical Director, Electrical Safety First
- Sian Lewis, Association Executive, Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances
- Leon Livermore, Chief Executive, Chartered Standards Institute
- Ian Moverley, Communications Director, Hotpoint, Whirlpool