Committee questions Andy Haldane
26 February 2021
The Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee continues its Industrial Strategy inquiry with a hearing where it takes evidence from members of the Industrial Strategy Council (ISC), the independent body set up to oversee and scrutinise the delivery of the Industrial Strategy.
- Watch Parliament TV: Post-pandemic economic growth: Industrial Strategy
- Inquiry: Post-pandemic economic growth: Industrial Strategy
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee
Tuesday 2 March 2021, virtual meeting
- Andy Haldane – Chair of Industrial Strategy Council
- Dame Kate Barker – Commissioner, Geospatial Commission (ISC member)
- Sir Charlie Mayfield – former Chairman, John Lewis Partnership (ISC member)
- Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell – President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Manchester (ISC member)
The Industrial Strategy inquiry is looking at the barriers to growth and these hearings form part of the Committee’s overall ‘super-inquiry’ into Post-Pandemic Economic Growth.
The Inquiry has examined whether the Government’s Industrial Strategy is fit for purpose, focused on the right sectors, issues and policy areas, and properly designed and implemented.
The evidence hearing on Tuesday is likely to examine questions around the achievements of the Industrial Strategy in the three and a half years since it was launched, and the Council’s perspective on key barriers to accelerating progress against the Strategy’s headline objectives.
The session will also likely examine issues around policy areas such as skills and R&D, and what role the Industrial Strategy can play in helping to direct the post-pandemic economic recovery.
Industrial Strategy sub-inquiry & the overall Post-pandemic economic growth inquiry
The Post-pandemic economic growth inquiry, launched in June, is an over-arching inquiry likely to run through the Parliament and will include a series of sub-inquiries examining issues such as devolution and the ‘levelling-up’ agenda, the role Government might play as a shareholder or investor in businesses in the future, and the measures needed to rebuild consumer confidence and stimulate economically and environmentally sustainable growth.