Committee examines the Energy White Paper
8 January 2021
The Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee examines the Energy White Paper and issues around the energy and industrial transition to ‘net zero’.
- Watch Parliament TV: Net zero and UN climate summits
- Inquiry: Net zero and UN climate summits
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee
Tuesday 12 January 2021, virtual meeting
- Sam French, Interim Chair, Decarbonised Gas Alliance
- Emma Pinchbeck, CEO, Energy UK
- Nina Skorupska, CEO, Renewable Energy Association
- Chris Stark, CEO, Climate Change Committee
- Frank Aaskov, Energy and Climate Change Policy Manager, UK Steel
- Richard Leese, Director - MPA Cement, Industrial Policy, Energy and Climate Change, Mineral Products Association
- Deidre Michie, CEO, Oil & Gas UK
- Richard Woolley, Head of Energy and Climate Change, Chemical Industries Association
On Tuesday 19 January (tbc), the BEIS Committee expects to hold a session with Government Ministers on the Energy White Paper and on the Government’s efforts to achieve ‘net-zero’.
On Tuesday 12 January, the BEIS Committee’s session looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the Energy White Paper, the barriers to delivery for industrial decarbonisation, and how far the Energy White Paper can deliver on the targets enshrined in the 4th and 5th Carbon Budgets – as well as the CCC’s recommendations for the 6th Carbon Budget.
This session is also likely to examine areas such as net-zero and issues relating to costs, consumers and public engagement, and how far the Energy White Paper goes in supporting jobs and the levelling up agenda.