Business Committee begins ‘Levelling up’ inquiry
29 September 2020
The Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Committee kicks off its new ‘levelling up’ inquiry with an opening evidence session where it will hear from local government and from regional business voices.
- Parliament TV: Post-pandemic economic growth: Levelling up - local and regional structures and the delivery of economic growth
- Inquiry: Post-pandemic economic growth: Levelling up - local and regional structures and the delivery of economic growth
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee
Publication of written evidence
On Wednesday morning, the BEIS Committee will publish the written evidence submissions for the ‘levelling-up’ inquiry. The Committee has received a range of submissions from businesses and industry groups, local authorities, and from universities, academics and others.
Purpose of the session
The introductory session on Thursday is likely to look at questions around what is ‘levelling up’, the evidence base and how it can be measured, how ‘levelling up’ can be effectively targeted and investment in skills and R&D. The hearing is also likely to cover questions around the Shared Prosperity Fund and local funding post-Brexit, and how the Government’s Infrastructure Delivery Taskforce, ‘Project Speed’, can support the levelling-up agenda.
The BEIS Committee’s inquiry will be looking at how local and regional government structures in England (including the role of powerhouses, local enterprise partnerships and growth hubs, city and regional mayoralties, and councils) could be reformed or better equipped to deliver growth locally.
Thursday 1 October 2020
- Mark Bretton, Chair of the LEP Network, Chair of Hertfordshire LEP
- Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe Vice Chair of the LGA’s City Regions Board and Leader of Bradford Council
- Councillor Sue Baxter, Chairman, National Association of Local Councils
At around 11.15am:
- Stuart Elford, CEO Devon Chamber of Commerce
- Louise Bennett OBE DL, CEO Coventry and Warwickshire Chamber of Commerce
- Chris Fletcher, Campaigns Director, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce
- Sandy Needham DL, CEO West and North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
Levelling up sub-inquiry & the overall Post-pandemic economic growth inquiry
The Post-pandemic economic growth inquiry, launched in June, is an over-arching inquiry likely to run through the Parliament and will include a series of sub-inquiries examining issues such as devolution and the ‘levelling-up’ agenda, the role Government might play as a shareholder or investor in businesses in the future, and the measures needed to rebuild consumer confidence and stimulate economically and environmentally sustainable growth. Further terms of reference for these sub-inquiries will be published during the course of the Parliament.