Nuclear diplomacy examined by Committee
27 February 2019
The International Relations Committee takes evidence on hopes for the 2020 Review Conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), whether the Treaty on the prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (the Ban Treaty) is a rival to the NPT, and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation's role in nuclear diplomacy.
- Parliament TV: Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and nuclear disarmament
- Inquiry: Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and nuclear disarmament
- International Relations Committee
Wednesday 27 February in Committee Room 4. Palace of Westminster
- Rafael Grossi, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the International Organisations in Vienna and President-designate of the 2020 NPT Review Conference
- Bert Koenders, former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of the Netherlands
- What are your hopes for the 2020 Review Conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, and what do you think will be the biggest challenges to the agreement of a consensus final document?
- To what extent is the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons a rival treaty to the NPT? How will its negotiation affect deliberations at the 2020 Review Conference?
- What measures could the nuclear weapons states take, ahead of the 2020 Review Conference, to build bridges with non-nuclear weapons states?
- To what extent has the risk of nuclear weapons use increased in recent years, and what should European countries do to try and alleviate the risk?
- How do you think that European countries should respond to the US Administration's recent policy decisions on nuclear issues including withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal and its increasing hostility towards arms control?
- Can you explain why the Netherlands chose to take part in the negotiation of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, and why it chose to vote against the treaty?
- To what extent do the perspectives of NATO allies that participate in nuclear sharing differ from others within the Alliance?
- What actions could the UK and its NATO partners take ahead of the 2020 NPT Review Conference to support the Treaty?
Image: iStock image