House of Commons Commission decisions – 3 December 2018
11 December 2018
- The Speaker, in the Chair
- Sir Paul Beresford
- Stewart Hosie
- Andrea Leadsom
- Valerie Vaz
- Dame Rosie Winterton
- David Natzler (Clerk of the House)
- Ian Ailles (Director General)
- Jane McCall (External member)
- Dr Rima Makarem (External member)
1. Northern Estate Programme (HCC 2018/68)
1. The Commission validated and endorsed the plans for a coherent design across the entirety of the Northern Estate during R&R decant at its November meeting. This includes expanding the scope of the NEP to include;
(1) Integrating 53 Parliament into Richmond House and using all of its floors.
(2) Replanning Members' and Members' staff offices in Portcullis House to meet the new space standards, thus fitting 12 more Members into the building.
2. The Commission endorsed the NEP pursuing the opportunities for additional space beyond the base design, subject to cost and deliverability, with a view to updating the Commission in January.
3. The Commission agreed to direct the Shadow Sponsor Board to provide information on legacy requirements for the Northern Estate by spring 2019.
4. The Commission endorsed the preferred decant sequence.
5. The Commission gave its direction on the visible ownership of the programme.
6. The Commission noted:
(1) The basis on which the current cost estimate had been prepared;
(2) The programme costs would be confirmed in January 2019, alongside the final scheme proposal, and prior to submission of the Outline Business Case for approval;
(3) The further work required in order to inform the programme costs and associated financial impacts;
(4) The impact on cost and time of not securing access to the MoD car park.
7. The Commission noted:
(1) That the design meets the schedule of accommodation requirements
(2) Work is continuing on the secure perimeter, which the Commission may wish for further advice in due course and which had been shared with CPPS.
(3) A panel of Members would provide input to the design process as more detail is developed
(4) Wider Member consultation would take place following Commission to provide as wide awareness and opportunity for input as possible.
(5) A further update would be provided to the Commission in January, covering developments and the small number of areas of the programme where options were still being explored.
(6) Having maximised the space, the NEP would now engage with Members, their staff and House authorities to refine working practice and use of space to optimise the workings of the House.
2. External members for the Clerk of the House recruitment panel
- Agreed the external membership of the sifting and interview panels.
3. Papers to note:
The Commission took note of the following papers:
- Draft Forward Programme
- Deliberations from meeting held on Wednesday 24 October
- Deliberations from meeting held on Monday 29 October
4. Date of next meeting
The next meeting of the Commission/MEC will take place on Monday 17 December at 5.00 pm in Speaker's House.
Image Parliamentary copyright